Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Love Hue!



About 5 years ago I went through a phase thinking that for design to be sophisticated it needed to be all set in muted, neutral tones, and while there is a place for this, I have returned to my "true self" and am a lover of colour once more!

Colour plays such a big role in our lives. Apart from smell, it is the strongest link we have to memory and association. Take, for example, some classic colour combinations; Green and Gold = Australia, Red and Yellow = McDonald's and Red and Green always has a Festive feel.

I am constantly drawn in by colour. I love to trawl magazines to find inspiration and will often find pairings that are unusual but work brilliantly!

I have found a great website that helps content my craving for colour and inspiration. It's COLOURlovers.com. You can search through thousands of user-created colour combos, patterns and palettes, or you can create your own. I used the create your own palette function to make the following combinations.

Sea Glass
Fresh aqua tones that give a feeling of air, water and cooling off on a hot day.



Tutti Fruiti
Fun citrus and strawberry colours just perfect for Summer.



Garden Party
A more sophisticated colour set that is set off by a kick of vibrant cherry.



Folk Tale
Colours commonly used to varying degrees in Scandinavian design. A favourite of mine at the moment as reflected in my new bedroom decor.



Daisies and Daffodils
Sunny and happy hues that make me want to frolic in a field of flowers.



Choc Lemon
An unexpected combination that makes me think of pastries and lollies!!


The fabulous thing about colour is that it can be used in so many ways and so many areas of our lives. While I always have in the back of my mine options for stationery designs, any of the about palettes could also be used to inspire your home, your wardrobe or even help set the theme for your wedding!

The Image at the top of this post is a poster I found a number of years ago, which I am determined to purchase one of these days. It is produced by Made By Girl, and I think it really says it all!

1 comment:

K @ Blog Goggles said...

This is very cool. I love color - especially the tutti fruti!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails