Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Japanese Washi Tape

Washi Tape seems to have exploded onto the scene over the last 6 - 12 months! And why not? It's fun, colourful, and can be used in as many ways as you can imagine! I found out a little bit about the history of the tape from NoteMaker.

Originally trading as makers of fly catching paper in the early 1920s, Japanese company Kamoi have been producing various forms of adhesive masking tapes for tapes for over 80 years.

A few years ago, three women; a gallery owner, an artist and a graphic designer, made a trip to the production factory. While the tapes were primarily being manufactured for industrial usage, the women had become enthused by using the small range of coloured rice-paper tapes decoratively.

To demonstrate, they presented the company with ‘Little Press” – a small book of collages and patterns made using the tapes. Following their visit, the women became inspired by the traditional processes involved in the production of the tapes.

They presented a second book to the company, featuring the work of 17 artists, who had designed patterns and prints of masking tapes they wished to have.

Following an exhibition in Tokyo and in their home city, Kamoi realised the ladies ideas, launching the masking tape (mt) label with a wealth of single colour and patterned tapes focussed on “sweetness and functionality”.

Beautifully packaged, thoughtfully produced, the mt range elevates adhesive tape from everyday stationery to a unique, surprisingly versatile, art, craft and design object.


The tape isn't widely available in Australia yet, but you can buy it from NoteMaker, Lark Made and through Etsy. Hopefully over the coming months it will be as popular here as the rest of the world!

[Chocolate Roll Set from Pretty Tape | Letters image from NoteMaker | Candy Stripe Designs from NoteMaker | Vase image from Lark Made | Gold Tape from NoteMaker | Dispenser from The Tinted Mint | Hot Pink Roll Set from Happy Tape | iPod image from MT Tape | Boxed Rolls from Lark Made | French Air Mail Design from Pretty Tape | Wall Display Image from Wee Birdy | Candy Stripe Roll Sets from Lark Made]

7 comments:

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

I love washi tape! That ipod is glorious.

art4friends said...

I just love MT tape. I use it EVERYWHERE I can.

I get it from Notemaker, FANTASTIC store.

Lark said...

Thank you for the lovely mention!

{little.happy.things} said...

I am in love with these tapes. I use them everywhere and on everything. Just can't get enough of them. I also have some available at my store, if anyone is interested, please check here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/littlehappythings1

Patty said...

I sell a large variety of washi tapes and have a brand new tape dispenser made of reclaimed cedar wood. You can find them here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tintedmint
http://www.tintedmint.com

Mike said...

My mom was telling me about Washi tape and I'm like what are you talking about? She then showed it to me and I was thinking wow cool.

G said...

Hi Amanda,

I sell washi tape based in Melbourne:

www.swanstonstsupplies.etsy.com if you want to have a browse!

Gemma

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails