Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday's Spotlight: Miss Trinket


Miss Trinket | Armidale NSW | Store | Facebook | Email

Gabrielle McGrath creates some of the most extraordinary and unique jewellery pieces under her label Miss Trinket. Her jewellery is sculptural and so intriguing. It has such an organic feel to it, and yet there is something wonderfully juxtaposing about the slight industrial forms as well. Gabrielle describes her jewellery as wearable art - and it really is! It is my pleasure to introduce you to Gabrielle and Miss Trinket today!


Welcome! What is it you do?
I make wearable art. Mini sculptures constructed in recycled Sterling silver.

Tell us a bit more about your work/company:
I’m a trained sculptor who has always had a real passion for jewellery design.
As well as making large format steel and found object sculptures, I love to make mini wearable sculptures. The larger steel work requires a lot of workspace and a lot of muscle. I love the fact I can tinker with my mini’s inside in a small amount of space and with little effort required in the heavy lifting department. I can pick up where I left off as there is always something ready to be assembled, my work bench is covered in bits and pieces just begging to be put together and made into a finished piece. I’m quite often late for work as I walk past my bench on the way to the front door and become totally absorbed and loose track of time!



Which best applies- Indie / Handmade / Eco / Other Designy Stuff:
Handmade, Eco and Design would all be suitable words in describing Miss Trinket…

If your company/product is eco please explain how:
Miss Trinket uses only 100% recycled sterling silver. I even give all my scraps back to the metallurgy manufacturers and have them melted down and recycled again. I try to source second-hand silver, beads and baubles from op-shops and garage sales. Any wood I use is recycled or upcycled from scrap. The bone I use are dog scrap bones from the butcher which I boil down and cured once the dogs have finished with them!


What makes your company / work unique?
I like to think Miss Trinket is unique in that no two trinkets are the same. Every piece is individual and designed as a work of art.

How would you best describe your aesthetic?
Being a sculptor, I guess I’m really into construction. I love making things with my hands, building something, piece by piece till it all makes sense and looks like it’s meant to be and always was!
I guess what I’m saying is, there is a strong construction aesthetic in the designs.



How long have you been in business and how did it come to be?
I’ve always been making trinkets and jewellery for myself. In the last 4 years I’ve put it out there for others.

Why did you name your company what you did? Does it have any special meaning?
My partner calls me Trinket of Trinky because I always have something around my neck.
I’m very rarely seen without something around my neck and I tend to jingle-jangle a fair bit! I love that not only does the word ‘trinket’ conjure up an object but also a sound…



What 5 words best describe YOU:
Creative
Clever
Eclectic
Collector
RED


Tell us a little more about you:
I live in the country with my partner, we have 2 dogs, Doug and Missy. 5 chooks, Trudie & Tiddles, Mr & Mrs Brown & Rodney. No children as yet, although very keen and trying! We’ve surrounded ourselves with lots of native grasses and trees and plant lots of our own veggies. I work by day as a Picture Framer.

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you “grew up”?
A ballerina. I think all little girls want to be a ballerina? Pretty Funny really as I’ve never even taken a dance class!!!


Who/What influences your work?
I’m a huge fan of Danish, Finnish and Scandinavian Silversmithing of the 60’s and 70’s. The working of the material and the design are extraordinary!


What/who inspires you?
The Danish and Finnish Silversmiths of the 60’s-70’s. Art Deco. Nature and nature's shapes such as sea shells and stones, seed pods and palm fronds. Bird’s nest, bee hives and insect's wings. The chaotic beauty of the natural organic world is a constant inspiration and fascination to me.


What person [living or dead] would you most like to meet? Why?
Only one person… Um, In keeping with the last 2 questions, Georg Jensen. I reckon I could learn a lot from the master!


What dreams do you have for your future?
I really hope to be able to live a sustainable life making jewellery and sculpture full-time.

Are there any magazines, blogs or websites you recommend?
I’m a bit of a late bloomer and have only just discovered the wide and wonderful array of blogs such as this one! The Carrotbox is also one I keep going back to… So quirky and inspirational!




I hope you enjoyed reading about Gabrielle and Miss Trinket today! Isn't her work just amazing? Make sure you take a look at the Miss Trinket store and make the most of your Reader Offer! 

Thanks for sharing with us today Gabrielle - I wish you all the best!

GFYUAGU7KSN3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mini works of art!!
Very Special xx

Kate @ another donkey design said...

Beautiful work and great photos as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails